Sunday, June 30, 2019

Modern day Graffiti


Although most visitors to Hawaii think these stacks of pohaku (stones) are a Hawaiian ritual and have a special meaning, in reality, this is looked at as graffiti and disrespectful. The stacking of rocks in the National parks can get you up to six months in jail and a $5000 fine.

“Pohaku are considered as much of the conscious universe as any other part of the Hawaiian universe would be. So you wouldn’t be messing with stones unless you had a real good reason to do so."

"When you move and displace Pele's "MANA" or spiritual energy (Volcanic Rocks) in an UNNATURAL WAY across the landscape you are disrespecting Pele. If Pele herself would not create such piles in Nature it is not Pono (right) for you to do so. This is Kapu, (Taboo) unless for worshiping reasons to the Gods in such forms as Heiau's or Ahu's.

I took a hike back into the jungle to check out a waterfall I just heard about this past Friday. Unfortunately there was only a small trickle of water when I got there but I found multiple stacks of the stones at the base of the waterfall. Which is in a National park I might add.

Although it made for an interesting photo I was disappointed to see so many of the stacks there.

2 comments:

  1. The stacked rocks make for a great photo, too bad there was no water in the falls though.

    I knew some of the Hawaiian Kapu about moving rocks but had no idea the extent. I'm glad you shared that.

    On one of our first visits to Oahu I found myself taking pictures from the edge of a Heiau, man oh man was I getting some serious "Stink Eye" by the locals... I've been careful ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know about the penalty! Well, I do mind about the $5k, but not 6 months in jail on the paradise.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!