Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Differences




A few weeks ago I decided I needed a smaller and lighter camera to take on my "other than photographic" hikes so I purchased a Nikon D3000 as a sidekick for my Nikon D80. Although the D3000 is a fine entry level DSLR the differences between the D80 and the D3000 were pretty drastic.
For the last year I have been shopping for an upgrade to the D80 and had been giving serious thought to the Nikon D700 since it was a full frame camera. The more I thought about this the more I decided I didn't want to have to buy all new lenses so I opted for to stay with the APS-C sensor and jumped up to a Nikon D300.
The difference between the D80 and the D3000 is nothing compared to the difference between the D80 and the D300! The D300 is really a fantastic camera and jumps into the pro level of DSLR's. (I need all of the help I can get!)
Of course I've just strating playing with the new camera and it will probably take me a month or so to get really comfortable with it but I am glad I made the jump. I'm adding a battery grip to the camera and stocking up on 16 GB memory cards for a trip I hope to take later this year. Now I need to start shopping for some super fast lenses!
The three photos above were taken rather quickly with the D300. I was curious about the frame per second rate and buffering so I started holding down on the shutter release to see what would happen. You can rack up a couple of hundred photos in under a minute if you really want to! I just picked these three out of several groups that I shot.
Lots of bells and whistles on the D300, so many that the owner's manual is 400 pages long!!

2 comments:

  1. I really like Pic#1. All are interesting.

    Have every confidence that you will master the D300. That camera is fast! Now I understand why the 16GB memory cards. Have to watch that itchy trigger finger!! But really I can think of times when a fast camera and lens would have been just the ticket for some great action shots.(think wildlife.sports,racing sports of all kinds,sunsets and rises,plus family events).

    As far as the 400 Page Manuel??-My brain feels information overload.......mp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see that the new camera has you Buffaloed...LOL (Sorry couldn't help myself!)

    All three nice shots! Have to be careful with that new rapid fire burst mode. You'll spend 5 minutes shooting and 5 hours figuring out which ones to keep...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!