Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Lunch in Chinatown

A number of years ago while on holiday in Hawaii my Wife and I decided to trade the crowds in Waikiki for the crowded streets of Chinatown in Honolulu which is truely an interesting place to explore.
By early afternoon both of us were getting hungry so I suggested we try the local cuisine, just look for the place full of locals. Sure enough we found it, a noisy common eating area surrounded with a number of food vendors selling countless unknown dishes. The air was alive with interesting smells foreign to our Western noses. I couldn't help but notice that no one seemed to speak English either.
We both agreed that this was the place! So we placed our orders by pointing at one of a number of faded photographs depicting plates with various meals. Indeed each of us enjoyed what we ordered! During the meal I took a picture of one of the faded display boards on the wall behind my Wife... The poor cockroach must have been wedged between that faded picture and it's plexyglass covering for years. I didn't show her the picture until after returning from our holiday.
Funny thing, we've been back to that same busy lunch counter several times on a number of holidays since! When in Rome...

2 comments:

  1. WOW! You and you wife definitely is a traveller couple, not a tourist couple. We have visited the Chinatown in numerous places in this country including Honolulu. I have seen worst than this in the fancy restuarant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that you are a braver man than I! I think I would have been looking for the nearest McDonalds! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!