Monday, November 12, 2012

Charons Gardens

Crab Eyes
 
What's in a name? That was on my mind as I shot pictures of this familiar landmark in the designated Wilderness Area of the Wichitas.
 
Twin Rocks Mountain was another name I have heard and seen in earlier print and stories of this remote and rugged area of the refuge. But, I do believe the 'Eyes" have it over the Twins!
 
 
Eye's of Charon
 
Let me explain my reasoning.
 
Charon (Kair'-uhn),  the Ferryman of Hades in Greek mythology was said to carry the souls of the newly deceased across the river of the Styx which divided the world from the living and the dead. Styx Canyon lies to the southwest of this view of the eyes from the north.
 
 Bluish-gray and said to be of "Keen- gaze" were the eyes of Charon! Now the question is, "Who were these early day name placers'?"  I do believe they may have been readers of mythology! Needless to say, "Karens Eyes", has a new meaning for this rugged landmark located in the untamed " Charon Gardens Wilderness Area".
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. good thing you knew the history behind that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul and Ron had great fun with these balanced rocks back in the early days of Shutterbugs!

    Next time Ron is down to the refuge we need to take this long hike to the eyes just for the view that 'Charon' gets to see everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This picture remind me so much of Utah, and Arizona. Thanks for sharing the history of this landmark.

      Delete
  3. Thought those rocks looked familiar... Did I mention that there used to be 4 rocks up there? LOL

    It's been a long time since I've heard about the mythological River Styx and Charon the ferryman. I think you're right about the early explorers being readers of mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Parker, You are definitely a fine thinker!! Mythology answers so many questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A hike? That might get in the way of my nap! LOL

    Mythology huh? I never knew any of that information but I would bet your assumptions are correct. It makes you wonder about several things in that area.

    "4 rocks" LOL, that was a good one that you got me with Paul. You actually had me going on that one up until the end. Did I ever get even for that? :~)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!