Monday, December 23, 2013

The weather outside is frightful...






...let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
 
I have found out there is a big learning curve to photographing snow flakes. The first thing you want is some really big snow flakes so you can get more detail. Unfortunately these snow flakes were very tiny. They were all about 1/16th of an inch with a couple about 1/8th of an inch in size.
 
I tried to illuminate them with a small LED flashlight to bring out more detail. This only worked when they were turned just right. These still aren't the best photos that I think I can get. Hopefully I can get some larger snowflakes soon.
 
I can't believe I actually want it to stay cold and snow but I guess you can't photograph snowflakes without it being cold.
 
For anybody that is wondering, these were shot using a Nikon 28-300mm lens at 300mm with three extension tubes connected to the lens and all of the photos were focused manually. 

7 comments:

  1. looks like 'space - the final frontier'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting photo adventure you are on. Out of this world shots with these pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing shots. They have so much detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, nicely captured! Good detail as Randy has already pointed out.

    So are these taken in mid air as they fall or on a black background that they have fallen on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,

      I used a piece of black acrylic to catch the snowflakes on and then photographed them inside my garage out of the weather. These were all shot at f10 with an ISO of 1600. The extension tubes allowed me to get the front of the 28-300mm lens about 1 inch from the snowflakes.

      Delete
  5. How very cool!!! Well done, Ron!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!