Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Heron Who Was Hard To Please

A long-legged Heron, with long neck and beak, set out for a stroll by the bank of a creek. So clear was the water that if you looked sharp you could see the pike caper around with the carp. The Heron might quickly have speared enough fish to make for his dinner a capital dish. But he was a very particular bird: His food fixed "just so," at the hours he preferred. And hence he decided 'twas better to wait, since his appetite grew when he supped rather late. Pretty soon he was hungry, and stalked to the bank. Where some pondfish were leaping--a fish of low rank."Bah, Bah!" said the Bird. "Sup on these? No--not I. I'm known as a Heron: as such I live high." Then some gudgeon swam past that were tempting to see, but the Heron said hautily: "No--not for me. For those I'd not bother to open my beak, if I had to hang 'round come next Friday a week." Thus bragged the big Bird. But he's bound to confess that he opened his elegant beak for much less. Not another fish came. When he found all else fail, he was happy to happen upon a fat snail.

By: Jean de La Fontaine

2 comments:

  1. Very nice photo! The colors are great!

    For a second there I thought you were going all artsy-fartsy on me making up your own poem! LOL

    It does go with the photo though. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shot!

    I take it that is a Blue Heron. Nice color markings on head and wings.

    Moral of fable or poem:
    Do not be to hard to suit or you may have to be content with the worst or with nothing at all !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!