Thursday, July 15, 2010

Lowepro Flipside 300 review

So here it is. The new Lowepro Flipside 300.

The first thing you will notice is that there is no way to get into the thing... What's up with that!

But wait if there is no way in then there is no way anything can fall out or be taken out if you are wearing it in a crowded market place, standing room only on a bus etc.

Yes it is comfortable to wear. The weight is evenly distributed on both shoulders as oposed to one shoulder as found in the "Slingshot" style camera packs. The pack also has a waist belt and chest strap both of which can be removed and stowed in the pack for later use.

A tripod or monopod can be straped to the back of the pack. Included is a small pocket in the bottom edge of the pack to hold the tripod or monopod feet. One side of the pack has a zippered pocket for smaller items such as memory cards, remote controller etc. and the other side has a water bottle pocket.

I could see myself being comfortable wearing this well padded pack on an all day outing. For those who like to fly, this would qualify as carry on and would easily silp under the seat in front of you.

In order to get to your camera gear you need to remove the pack lay it on its back and open the zipper. The removable bag in the top of the pack is perfectly sized to hold your charger, cords and the straps you will likely remove from the pack. The compartments below are all on velcro and can be rearanged to suit your needs. Please note that this model is 2.5 lenses wide which for me is fine and leaves room for cleaning cloth, filters and what not.

The internal dimentions of the pack are 9" wide x 16" high x 5" deep. Easily enough room to hold my D90, Nikon 18-135, Sigma 10-20 and Sigma 120-400.
Found today that by moving the upper flap of the main partition one side or another allows me to pack the camera with either the 18-135 atached or with the 120-400 atached. Nice option.
I give this camera pack 5 out of 5 stars!
Also please note that Lowepro makes this same pack in larger and smaller sizes, though one could easily get weighted down with a larger pack.




3 comments:

  1. Nice review and photos but who's the old man? (I guess I'm not the only "old dog" in the group) I was expecting a model in a bikini!! LOL

    That's a nice little pack. I'm going to have to go with something a little bigger because that one is not deep enough to handle the D300 with a battery grip. I noticed yesterday my old pack is ripping out along the sides even more now that I have it stuffed with two camera bodies, lenese and other assorted accesories.

    I'm tempted to sell the D80 but I like the idea of having a back up body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul thanks for the most excellent commentary and photos of your new pack!

    Pics and text offer a very subjective review!

    This is exactely what I had asked for!

    As far as "the old man comment" I know Ron and after seeing your face , You guys make me feel real old.LOL ( I was 65 in June)

    I've got a lot of catching up on equipment but first need to learn to use what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul, you have made a good choice for your gear. I have two backpacks Lowepro mini Trekker, compu AW Trekker, and a rolling case for 6 years now. Not only protecting your items inside the bag, also protecting you too. I have encountered a few time pouring rain before, and the rain flap attached to the backpack keeps the bag dry everytime. My favorite backpack is the compu AW Treker, it has a slot for my laptop. Only bad thing about this bag is that I always got search at the airport due to packing too much camera gears.

    Parker, welcome to photogaphy world. I wish I;m still active like you when I'm 65. Please be aware, photography could be addictive, and sometime you might get some counseling from your spouse.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!