Wednesday, October 10, 2012

MEXICO BOUND!

Migrating Monarchs
 
While taking a morning walk thru the campgrounds found myself on the lower loop which takes in views of the lake. Began to notice large numbers of Monarch Butterflies floating in the air and amongst the trees.
 
 

The main concentration of the hundreds of the colorful butterflies centered around a campsite that gives access to a bridge that crosses an arm of Quanah Parker Lake where the Lilly Pads grow. This will be my only clue to location as I understand the Monarchs visit the same location every year.



The only lens I had with me was a Nikkor 55 to 200mm. Try as I did to capture the masses in flight , a wider angle lens was needed. Contented myself with hand held shots of individual subjects of lessor numbers.



One could walk thru the trees and the butterflies would stir into flight all around you. Give them a moment to settle down then walk thru again, once more you would be surrounded with these winged beauties! I tried to imagine what it would be like to visit the wintering grounds of the Monarch at the Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve. Located in the State of Michoacan high in the transvolcanic mountains one hundred km N.W. of Mexico City.



When in Mexico they live in the Sacred Oyamel Fir. abies religiosa being the scientific name. The tips of it's branches form a 'Christian Cross'.

Had the privilege of viewing this wonder two mornings in a row before they moved on. Was able to share the experience with friends who I clued in to the happening. After they returned from viewing was told they were equally amazed at being a part of the annual migration south to Mexico of the Monarch Butterfly!

A true and wonderful experience from Doris Campground!
Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge
24th and 25th of September, 2012

8 comments:

  1. Great shots! I really like numbers 1 and 3. The lighting and colors are perfect.

    I know exactly where you are talking about and for $10 I won't tell anybody. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would know! Some things in the Mtns. need to be held close. This is just another treasure that few have a clue!
      Ten bucks huh. Man that's the price of a campsite for a day for us old farts with a Senior Pass these days!

      Delete
  2. i have not seen an actual monarch in a long time. i'll have to watch to see if any come through this way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should be down your way soon! Wish you would have been there with your camera. I would have clued you in to the location for sure!

      Delete
  3. Parker these are fabulous photographs! What a special treat to have seen this. I agree with Ron, photos 1 & 3 are definitely keepers though the others are a close second...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, I felt it was a special treat to have been apart of this migration as well. Made me feel everything was right with the world, and at that moment it was! Had a hard time picking pics to represent the event!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Parker, you witnessed one of the miracles of nature. I think your photos are splendid and I am thrilled that you were able to see and watch the migration. It's one of the most spectacular scenes one can witness; wouldn't it be great to see them in Mexico? I have watched with reverent and rapt attionion a video on public television several times of the migration history, with outstanding visual footage. Brings me close to tears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really wonderful, Parker" thank you! BShell

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!