Monday, February 24, 2014

Starry, Starry Night


All three of these shots were taken from the top of Haleakala, the dormant volcano on Maui. I was standing at an elevation of 10,023 feet when I took the first two photos.

This first shot was taken with a fisheye lens just for fun. The lights that you see in the bottom right hand corner are from the island of Oahu about 100 miles away.


This is a shot of the Milky Way. I was just curious what the shot would look like. Next year Aaron and I plan on hiking into the crater of the volcano and getting some star photos with some landscape in them.


I took this photo about at about 9000 feet elevation looking down at the town of Kahului. You can see the light cloud cover hanging over the lights of the city.

5 comments:

  1. Nice, nice shots! The lights from Kahului really shows the vast area covered in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. great night shots, I like the way the last picture came out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen anyone shoot at night at this location. I love the bottom picture with the city lights in the background. So, how many blankets did you but on you while taking these photos? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I forgot! LOL

      I was semi prepared this trip. I took a pair of long pants and a jacket with me but after a couple of hours it just wasn't enough. It was only 43 degrees at the top of the volcano but the wind was blowing about 30 mph so it was still cold, very cold. Next year I will be better prepared and will probaly spend several hours on the top of the volcano trying to make Aaron cry for heat. LOL

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!