Saturday, April 23, 2011

One small step for man...

OK, so it's not the moon. I could have been on a sound stage in New Mexico though! LOL

Being the first boots on the ground in the aftermath of a 1700 acre wildfire was a little strange and a little exhilarating. The landscape in spots looked a lot like the moon but you could really see things that you couldn't see before. (Pay attention here Parker!) The contrast of the granite rocks agains the burnt areas was something to see. I plan on spending a lot of time in this area this summer!

A trail through the fire.

I saw several of these trails through the ashes while on my hike. These were formed from the natural animal trails in the mountains that didn't have any grass on them to burn so they now look like a clean line across the ground.


I was amazed at how the cedar trees burned. It's like the exploded at the base and burnt outward.


I found this flower already growing from out of the fire. I forgot to reset the vividness on my camera before taking the shot so the yellow really glowed!

The ghost tree.

I found several of these while hiking in the area also. The trees that were already on the ground were completely consumed by the fire and left a reddish white ash where the limbs use to be.

3 comments:

  1. I applaude your boot mark in the ash. A signal that hiking season has arrived!

    The animal trail and ghost tree photos are most unusual. Good observance.

    The lonely yellow flower, attesting to renewed life. Very appropiate for this Easter Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice group of photos and good commentary to go with! Interesting how some details like animal trails stand out so clearly after an event like this. Who knows what else will show up!

    I recall watching Neil Armstrong back in the summer of 69 while he made that now so famous foot print on the sound stage in New Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard a mystery story about a Bigfoot in Wichita Mountain area. Well, this one is a smart one, he decided to put on pair shoes because he doesn't want to accidentally step on hot coals.

    By the way I love the flower picture. Good Work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!