Monday, November 5, 2012

A Cattle Drive

Coming Home
 
The wildfires and droughts of 2010-2011 had left a shortage of grassland on the 59,020 acres contained in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge of Southwest Oklahoma. The adjoining Ft. Sill Army Base offered several thousand acres of pasture which were adequately fenced with water to help relieve the problem. Several head of Texas Longhorn cattle were rounded up and driven thru the gate to the unfamiliar range in the winter of 2011. Now that the refuge had recovered it's grass sufficiently, it was time to bring the Longhorns home! Cowboys from the area ranches were borrowed and showed up bringing their horses and know-how with them. Pickups and horse trailers lined the road by the Cache Gate. At least a dozen!
 
Lining Them Out
 
I first saw them about three miles south of the refuge. Dust was in the air from their hooves as the cowboys were gathering and building the herd. From the trucks and horse trailers I saw on my way to get fuel at Cache and then the scene just described, I figured out a cattle drive was being formed to bring the missed Longhorns back home. A once in a lifetime photo opportunity was upon me!
 
Positioned my truck where I knew they would be coming thru the gate and onto the refuge. Climbed into the bed and used the top of the truck to rest my elbows (tripod) on. Ring side seat! Captured the two pics above just after they crossed the road and started north.  
 
 
Riding Flank
 
The cowboys and their cow-savy horses started narrowing and stretching the herd into an easy walking drive. No stress on the animals! Cowboys took their places, Trail Boss-Point-Swing-Flank and Drag.
 
 
Gathering Strays
 
Some of the momma cows seemed to recognize their old range and tried to stray off from the drive but a horse and rider gently nudged them back to the others!
 
 
Headed North
 
Moving at a steady pace the Longhorns were trailing well. 
 
 
Riding Drag
 
Gets a little dusty on the back end of a trail drive. All those hooves on the ground really stirs the dirt!
 
 
Swing Man
 
The swing men (one on each side of  the trailing animals) follows the point men to help steer the herd which ever way the point men are leading.
 
More Trailing Adventures and Pics Next Post!
 
 
 
 


12 comments:

  1. gosh, talk about facing down the 'enemy!' you're a tough one, parker. i'm not sure i'd want to see another cow, ever - especially a longhorn. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Au Contraire',Tex.
      I have always been a big fan of the Longhorn and have nothing but respect for them and their place in our history. I even have had friends who trained steers which we could ride! The mis-adventure with Old Red was just a odd happening!

      Delete
  2. Talk about being in the right place at the right time! Nice series of photos and knowledgeable commentary to go with.

    I really like the first shot in this series, it has all the right ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. I really felt lucky to have happened on to this unannounced trail drive.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like these photos. I agree with Paul, being in the right place at the right time alsways lends itself to ggod photos. I also agree with him that the top shot is the "top shot".

    Good use of your "triopd"! LOL

    Out of all my years of being at the refuge I have never seen them run the cattle so this is a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought you might like the tripod.

    Ron I've never seen a drive like this on the refuge either. A treat indeed! My Lucky Day! Good thing I was up early and happened to be going that way or I would have missed the whole show! This happened on Monday morning the day after you left!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's me, a day late and a dollar short! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually on time but always a dollar short!LOL

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you didn't have another mis hap with Old Red.;) You're braver than I am. Those long horns are so American to me. Great pictures and I love the dusty ones. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Longhorns and the cattle trails after the War between the States are indeed so American. I managed to get several of the Dusty Ones and will probably show a few this winter!

      Delete
  8. Riding Flank is a great photo that tells the story.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!