Thursday, November 8, 2012

Short On Lens

Wapiti
 
I was in awe! We had just busted a Bull Elk out of the cover of the trees and brush of the dry creek bed before us. Amazing how they can get thru the heavy growth with their large antlers.
 
Not for sure who or what we were, he ran up the mountain with nose in the air trying to catch the scent of his intruders. And there I was with an 18 to 55mm lens screwed onto my Nikon camera body! Talk about being under-gunned! Of course he presented a head up, broad side shot , of his profile.
 
 
Escape!
 
Just to add insult to injury for my lens short comings, the cows in his harem clamored out of the brush and followed his lead over the rise! One just never knows what glass to carry on a strenuous hike where weight is a consideration!
 
Not having my long lens did not dampen my enjoyment of what I was seeing. Elk in Oklahoma! The closest place other than the Wichita Mtns. would be in the Rocky Mtns. of New Mexico or Colorado, where a scene as I was privledged to see was played out. And here I was ninety-two miles from home!
 
Although heavily cropped and sure not cover photos, just view in full screen and think of the Picture Takers thrill of being a witness to this well earned scene!!
 
 
 
 

11 comments:

  1. those really are gorgeous, though. the surrounding rugged terrain and colors add rather than detract from the scene. glad you got those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos Paul
    but it's still a bummer...I had a similar experience last week as I was headed to work 3 bobcats (mom and 2 kittens) crossed the road in 15 ft.front of my car and I had no camera!! Well, I had a point and shoot in my purse, but that doesn't count. The image is embedded in my mind... just wish I could have shared it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'd love to take credit for Parker's excellent find and photos but I think I'd get in hot water with him!

      Delete
    2. oops!!! Sorry, Great pictures Parker!!

      Delete
  3. Both good captures! I think if you had zoomed right in on your subjects you would have lost the beautiful scenery all around them. Having said that have you considered a Nikon 18-200 or the new Nikon 18-300 lens?

    I'm giving some thought to purchasing a Nikon 18-300 lens when my old 18-135 packs it in. Pretty sure this one lens would hardly ever need to come off the camera body with such a broad range.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul I have a Nikon 55-200mm lens but it was left at camp for this hike. I think the 18-300 Nikon lens would be an excellent choice to own along with a small camera for when one wants to travel light.

    Good point about zooming on the subject and missing the scenery. I wasn't thinking about the scenery when trying to shoot the elk but the pic seems to have come out fine. Got to be a lesson here somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I recognize that spot! LOL

    I would agree with everyone else, that first shot would have lost something if the rugged background were not included.

    Paul, if you're waiting for the 18-135 to crap out you will never get a new lens! I had mine for years as a primary lens and my oldest daughter has it now and it is still going strong.

    Aaron and I looked at the new Nikon 18-300mm lens last month and they are going for just under $1000 here in the states. They do make a good all around lens though. My 28-300mm is on my D700 90% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn! The 18-135 would have to be one of those bullet proof lenses that last forever... Any time I mention lenses all I get is "The look"... LOL

      Actually my plan would be to get the 18-300 and a 1.4x or 1.7x teleconverter for the 120-400 otherwise the 120-400 would hardly ever get used.

      Been so darn busy up to about a month ago... Hopefully now that I'm back to a more reasonable work load I'll be able to do more hiking and picture taking!

      Delete
    2. That sounds like a good plan. You'd be pretty much covered for anything except a super fast lens.

      I can understand about the work. As much as I moan and groan about it I'm glad it's there. It's no fun being broke! LOL

      Delete
  6. By looking at the first picture, it seems to me that he knows you are there! I'm impressed with your hard work on your hiking trip. Good Work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What luck that you got to see them. The images you posted along with your commentary allowed me to see what you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!