Friday, November 2, 2012

New Pole at Quatsino

 A few days ago I had the opportunity to see the unveiling ceremony for a new pole at nearby Quatsino Village. Not really a totem pole but rather a very large ceremonial mask on a pole to commemorate a much respected Chief.

There were representatives from many of the nearby villages and many of them were wearing the traditional "Button Blankets". It was quite something to see and I was able to get a number of nice pictures.







While doing a little research on these "Button Blankets" I came across an interesting website explaining some if the history of this traditional clothing:

http://www.sd61.bc.ca/edsrvs/ANED/educationalResources/Kwakwakawakw_Button_Blankets_Powerpoint_William_Wasdon_Jr._Namgis_Nation.pdf

10 comments:

  1. Outstanding capture of an important event in their lives. Great colors. I'm on my way to the website!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very colorful blankets although the maks is a little scary!

    The four guys in the blankets don't look very happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't unhappy, they are being "stoic". Dedicating a pole is serious business rich in tradition. It was quite an honor to have been invited to be there for this!

      Delete
    2. Sorry Paul, I didn't mean to offend. I know how improtant tradition is.

      Delete
    3. Not to worry, no offense taken and I agree they do look unhappy. Being around this culture for most of my life I've come to understand that there is quite an art if you will to these ceremonies and this stoicism is just part of it. Much the same idea as the Hawaiians and some of their ceremonies, in fact as I understand it, most of the Coastal Native people and Hawaiian people all have common roots in Polynesia.

      Delete
  3. i'm unable to copy the link, unfortunately. but those are beautiful garments. and a very striking mask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TesWes I don't know how to make this into a clickable link... Maybe Ron knows how?

      Delete
  4. Nice job of documenting this event in photos. The Button Blankets with their designs are fascinating as well as the Pole. Chief Wasdon must have been a very respected and wise leader to have had such an honor bestowed upon him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! I always like to take pictures of any cultural ceremony event like this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!