Sunday, November 11, 2012

Big blade!




I'm sure these big windmills are pretty common place everywhere else in the world except for Vancouver Island... This coming Spring 55 windmills are to be setup a few miles North of Port Hardy. The company doing the installation had just received the first of 165 of these blades and had an "open house" for the public to have a look at what they are up to.
So my Stepson Jake and I went to have a look... That's him in the first two pictures. This blade is 160' long and weighs about 18,000 lbs. Jake is 6'4" tall but that blade makes him look like a munchkin!

5 comments:

  1. You beat me to it! I've been telling Aaron that I wanted to get a photo of one of these blades because I've been seeing a lot of them going down the highway on semis and I thought it would make a good photo.

    We saw a few on our last trip to Oklahoma. They are big! I'm amazed that the wind can make something like that move with the ease that it does. I'm thinking about putting a smaller version (much smaller) on our property next year so we can make some of our own power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you going back to take more pictures when this massive thing operating.

      Ron, it would be easier for me to find your house if getting a big one like this. Also, you could sell your energy to your neighbor, and retired in Hawaii.

      Delete
    2. LOL Q! Mine won't be quite that big. Although having a big one on the property would be nice. I know in Oklahoma the electric company pays the property owners $3000 a year per wind generator to lease the space. One guy has 100 of these on his property. With that I could retire in Hawaii (and probably would!)

      Delete
  2. Paul have been around them for a good while now but am still fascinated by the sheer size of these enormous producers of electricity! Good captures illustrating the size of the blades!

    It was just reported last week that a new field of 135 of the wind mills was finished and about to go online soon in our county. The first of three of the planned project in Canadian County!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!