Friday, November 2, 2012

Macro with the Nikon P7700


Parker and I went for a little hike one day and neither of us wanted to carry our DSLRs because of the size and added wieght so I packed in the Nikon P7700 just in case we needed to take some photos. This is one area where the Nikon P7700 really shines, you have a good majority of the flexibility you have with a DSLR but in a lot smaller and lighter package.

The P7700 has a macro setting on it and it can focus within 0.80 inches for shooting macro which I thought was pretty nifty. This first shot is of some random purple flowers and no, I do not know the official name. They were growing everywhere out of the rocks so they are probably some kind of weed. LOL

This shot was taken at 28mm about 4-6 inches from the flower.


This photo is from an idea Parker gave me when he was taking about another photographer he had met. These are lichens that grow on the granite rocks in the Wichita Mountains. This photo is from about 1.5 inches away. You can see the lichens and even the small pieces of quartz that permeate the granite rock in this area.

I am continually impressed with what the little P7700 can do. This will be a very good option for those point and shoot camera owners that want something more but don't want a full blown DSLR.

9 comments:

  1. No matter what lens or camera you are tinkering with at the time, your photos always are marvelous. The purple Aster is my fav, but I be likin' the lichen too. Great again!
    BlessYa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive performance by the P7700 Nikon. Focus is spot on for hand-held macro shooting! When you were taking these shots I was wondering if the results would be acceptable, 'I wonder no more after seeing these two pics'! Lichens with all the quartz in the granite was interesting. I always like Wildflowers! Good subject material in both shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive results to be sure!

    After seeing these macros and other photos you've captured with the P7700 I'm giving serious consideration to getting one of these or similar to take on my next trip to Hawaii rather than carry around the SLR and lenses...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Say it ain't so!!

      You will never be able to replace the DSLR and your lenses with any point and shoot although this one comes close. I couldn't bring myself to go to someplace like Hawaii and not take an arsenal of lenses for the different photo opportunities you find there. With that said, I will be taking the P7700 with me to Hawaii for the times I don't want to carry the D700 and the lenses. But, I will also be taking the D700, the D300 and 7 different lenses along with a flash this trip so having the P7700 will only make it light once I get there. LOL

      If you start looking for something like the P7700 read lost of reviews. Nikon had two versions before this (the 7000 and 7100 I think) and the first version was OK but that's about it. The sceond version was much better but still had several things that weren't just right like the lense, start up times and noise while operating.

      The only thing most people don't like about the P7700 is the fact it doesn't have a view finder. You can learn to live with that except I have to put my old man glasses on when I want to take a photo. (really like the diopter adjustment in the DSLRs! LOL)

      Delete
  4. Nice review! I think Nikon should pay you for this review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't need to pay me Q, they could send me a D4 though and I wouldn't complain! LOL

      Delete
  5. Those lichens look really cool! Looks like a great little camera. I recent got a (cheap) compact camera as I find the DSLR a bit much for some of the family activities.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!