Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day Dreaming

I'm the one day dreaming, not the turtle. Well, maybe the turtle is, I'm not sure.

I've been day dreaming about those tropical islands lately so I thought I would reach into some of my older photos from a wonderful trip to Maui a few years ago. The wife and I are planning a trip back very soon, maybe I will run into this guy (or gal) again!


Parker asked if the turtle is as big as he looks, here is a photo of me swimming with one. It's not the same turtle but the same size. To give you some reference since most of you have never met me, I stand 6' 2" tall and I was about five feet behind the turtle. In other words, the turtle is about three feet long.

And yes, shooting underwater has a whole series of challenges that you don't find on dry land. The three most annoying is that available light drops off drastically in just a few feet of water, colors come out different if you don't have your camera set right and you can get "back-scatter" if your lighting and angles aren't right. Back-scatter is when the light, either natural but mostly from a flash, picks up all of the little particles floating in the water. This leaves a lot of garbage in the shot. Shooting in RAW format helps with the lighting and the colors because you can do a lot in a photo program to correct the things you screwed up while trying to take a photo AND breath.

5 comments:

  1. Nice pic. Is that turtle as large as he appears?

    Shooting underwater must be a challange!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for " The Rest of The Story " as Paul Harvey would say.

    Man,they are big!

    Great photography lesson. Nice commentary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible picture of the turtle! I admire underwater photography.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I have seen these pictures of Ron's before on another photo sharing site, I still give them 5 Stars! *****

    Great commentary, photographs and thanks for the underwater photo tips!

    It would seem that my Wife is determined that we are going to Oahu this October. Who am I to argue! Looking forward to trying out my 120-400 at the surf beaches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Nice color on the turtle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!