Saturday, July 3, 2010

A new lens

I finally made the plunge into the wide angle gambit last week. I purchased a Sigma 10-20mm wide angle lens with the hyper-sonic motor so I could get some better landscape shots. After all, I already had several filters that fit the lens but no lens to go with them. I just hate it when that happens!

I took this photo with the new lens and a new filter I bought to go with it. I didn't have a graduated neutral density filter in the 77mm size so I got one when I got the lens. The graduated filter allowed me to calm some of the brightness in the sky but keep the light on the ground and mountains.

I can't wait to try this out on a few sun sets in Hawaii!

I will say that the manual on the lens is correct when they say you can't stack filters. I put a UV filter on the wide angle to protect it and I thought I would just screw the graduated ND filter onto that without a problem. Adding the extra quarter inch to the end of the lens made the filter rim show up in the corners of the frame at 10mm.

4 comments:

  1. You are going to have lots of fun with your new Sigma 10-20! I love mine, it opens a whole new world of possibilities especially when traveling in Hawaii!

    A nuteral density filter set is definately on my list of need to gets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice photo, and good job on the composition the ground, and the sky. Is this lens is a FX format? Also, when the last time you clean the sensor in your camera? I can see some spots on your photo. Just jealousy speaking LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one nice photo.

    The clouds all seem to radiate from the center of the picture.

    Those Sigma lens really aid the photographer.mp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, this is a tough crowd! LOL

    Quynh Le, this is a DX format on a Nikon D300. I noticed the spots too but only AFTER I posted the photo!

    I cleanded the sensor yesterday after seeing the spots. Hopefully I got them all!

    The graduated ND is the way to go along with a 2 ND and maybe a 4 ND if you doing any shooting in snow or really want to slow down a water fall.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!