Tuesday, October 25, 2011

It's five-o-clock somewhere


This was actually taken at about five o-clock on Ka'anapali Beach on Maui, Hawaii and yes, I was enjoying a cocktail with the show! LOL

I've been going through some of my old film shots and they just don't edit as well as the digital ones do in the photo editing programs. I was able to work on a few lighting issues with this photo with the NX2 software and then tweaked it a little more in photoshop but I sure wish it had been a true digital file. This one has some grain/noise to it that came in because the photo was too dark to begin with and when I tried lightening up the dark spots I got the noise.

After Q convinced me I should be shooting in RAW I don't know why you would shoot in any other format. I take that back, in 14 bit RAW I only get about three frames a second but if I switch to 12 bit RAW or even jpeg, I can get 8 frames per second using the added battery grip and EL4 battery. So if I need to take a series of fast shots then I would switch but even then I would probably go to the 12 bit RAW instead of the jpeg. I do have to have a few extra memory cards shooting in RAW but all in all, it's definitely worth it!

An added note on shooting in 14 bit RAW, the best way it was explained to me is that it's like a flight of stairs, a flight of 12 bit stairs aren't any shorter than a flight of 14 bit stairs, it's just that there are more, smaller steps on the 14 bit stairs. Shooting in 14 bit RAW also uses 1.3 times as much memory as 12 bit RAW.

10 comments:

  1. Such a classic Hawaii picture, love it!

    Thank you for the touching on the 14 bit vs. 12 bit raw vs. jpeg file sizes. I didn't know there were different size RAW files.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems to me this pic came out very well. Very colorful pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul, some cameras only shoot the 12 bit and some will shoot both. I have done a lot of research on it and although I do shoot in the 14 bit, I don't really think it matters except in speed. Shooting in the 14 bit slows the frames per second down by 50% or better so I try to make sure to switch to the 12 bit if I want to run through a hundred frames really quick! LOL

    Shotting in 14 bit compared to 12 bit is kind of like shooting in RAW and compressed RAW, I don't think you can really tell the difference unless you have some fancy machine doing the measuring.

    Here's a guy that explains the 12 bit verse 14 bit pretty well although he gets his math wrong. (he does correct it a the end of the page though)

    http://www.photomatter.com/Reviews/NikonD300d.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ron I'll have a look at that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added another paragraph to my post to explain the 14 bit a little more. Nothing fancy but in terms I can understand! LOL

    It's just another one of those things that if you didn't know about it you would never miss it. I only set my camera to 14 bit because I can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been to this beach! And ah...to go back would be devine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like shooting RAW format because I want gather as much of information as possible for post processing. If you have NX2, and CS5 Adobe software, the
    RAW file would be great benefit for this. The NX2 is designed for Nikon RAW file. Once, you have uncompressed file, the software will give you more options to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. By the way, I like the new look to this blog. Good Job Ron!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Q! I thought I would change it up a little and try to make it a little fresher or modern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really like your changes to the blog site! Definitely freshens it up some.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!