Friday, January 13, 2012

RON"S ANCHOR


Anchor From USS Oklahoma

Happy to say the temporarily lost anchor has been located in a small park between NW 12th and 13th Sreet on Broadway! In an earlier post our blog leader Ron showed us a scanned newspaper clipping of him at 5 along with his Dad. Both were in uniform as they viewed this anchor on Pearl Harbor Day. With all the changes over the years the location was lost. The next two pics will give the history of the anchor including it's many relocations over the lost years. 







A fresh coat of paint along with a solid Oklahoma granite base, makes a fitting place for its new home!



I feel this Quote honors the many men who lost their lives in Pearl Harbor while serving on the crew of the USS Oklahoma that fateful day!


6 comments:

  1. Apologize for the poor quality of the pics of the History markers. When I viewed them full screen they were readable, but here I cannot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post Parker! Great pictures and commentary to go with. Glad you found the old anchor!

    BTW your photos came out just fine and are quite readable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right, it's MY anchor! LOL

    I still can't believe they moved it. Thanks for the new photos Parker and Paul is write, you can read everything just fine.

    I think I'm going to have to relinquish the title of roving reporter to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy to say that I was able to max the photos to get the history of the ship which is quite amazing. Such a wasteful tragedy by Dec. 7, 1941. Eternal vigilance is right, but we don't seem to take many lessons of history to heart, do we?!

    PS. Glad you found my blog so I can now enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can read just fine, and I'm enjoyed the history from this anchor.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!