Sunday, January 20, 2013

I hate snakes!


OK, technically they are eels but technically, I don't care! They look like snakes, they slither around like snakes and they hide in the rocks like snakes, so....

Both of these photos were taken in the water in front of our condo in Maui. The first snake, er, eel, is a snowflake moray eel. The Hawaiian name if you are keeping track is "puhi kapa".

The second eel is a zebra moray eel, also known as the "puhi". Both of these eels have dull rounded teeth that they use for cracking the shells on crabs which is their main food source. Even though their teeth aren't sharp I doubt it would be comfortable being chomped on by a vice like grip. Both can get as big as five feet long but these weren't that big.The snowflake moray was only about 18-20 inches and the zebra moray was about 24-26 inches.


The eels are very skittish as you can see in the photos. They were trying to kick up as much sand as possible to hide from me. I don't think you could accidentally step on one but I think you might get to close to it's hiding spot without knowing it and get a "warning" chomp if you were unlucky. I kept my distance as a precaution.

Did I mention I don't like snakes?

7 comments:

  1. i think that came thru loud and clear. :)

    i think they're beautiful - as long as i see 'em first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell NO! If I see one of these near me, I would called for a day. You are a brave man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to see I'm not the only wuss in the group. LOL!

      Delete
  3. I don't mind them if I can Hear or See them first. Some are really fascinating with their patterns and colors.It's those quiet rattlers and copperheads that bother me. As far as ocean critters are concerned I am not familiar enough with them to know the difference between the bad guys or good guys. Guess my views will probably be seen thru glass at an aquarium!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So how close were you to these "snakes"?? When we lived there and went diving with the locals if we saw one (or a barracuda) you immediately went in the other directions!! SCARY critters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was about 3 feet from the snowflake and 4 feet from the zebra. That's as close as I wanted to get!

      Delete
  5. Both great captures! They sure blend in well with their surroundings.

    Over here on the West Coast we have the Moray Eels. Never give any problems but all the divers I know always give them lots of space just the same. Any animal land or ocean will come out fighting if it feels trapped!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!