Thursday, June 21, 2012

Lichen Shapes and Colors


Lichens growing on the granite rocks are a familiar sight when hiking or driving in and around the Wichita Mountains of Oklahoma. I began to pay more attention to them while on my last visit.



First noticed the various colors and then the odd patterns and shapes the algae and fungus formed. I had never took the time to really look at these growing organisms.



I then decided that collecting photos of the many different colors and species might make for some odd and interesting pics!



A Google search of lichens was done and interesting facts about this living, breathing plant were many. If you are into the science of botany and photosynthesis and all that it entails, one will find a wealth of information!



My primary interest in the Lichens were it's many features and not the technical side. Hope to add more colors and species on future trips!

My choice to photograph these was in a narrow close up view. To me this highlights the lichen and presents a graphic and textured look.

Strange subject matter. Hope you enjoy looking!

14 comments:

  1. You Shutterbugs really know how to keep people returning to your blog!! I am so enjoying the diversity of all the posts, from watching surfing on the north shore of Maui to the canyons in the southwest and now the lichen photos. I do learn something everyday. Thanks and keep posting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val,
      What a nice compliment to all of us at Shutterbugs! A Big Thank You!

      Diverse is spot on! One never knows where we will show up or what will catch our attention to photograph! I too enjoy this diversity from the crew!

      Delete
  2. some almost look like paint splatters, and others like flat flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I was thinking of using something like paint splatters to title this post but fat flowers? Had to go back and look and sure enough, spotted some fat flowers! Good eye Tex!

      Delete
  3. Yes, definitely cool looking rocks! We don't have rocks like that out here - unless it's near water. Wonderful. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you liked them! Next time Dora and you are kicking around the back country near water, see if you can see any different colored lichens than was posted!

      Delete
  4. Lichens? You should have been looking for carvings or drill holes! LOL

    These do make for a nice abstract subject to photograph. Kind of reminds me of a roreshack test. (not sure if I got that name right and if I did it's probably not spelled correctly)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always looking for them. Beginning to think there is more drill holes than lichens!LOL

      Spellings close enough for me. Now in the next picture 'Whats the first thing that comes to mind'?

      Delete
    2. Triangles, it's all triangles! LOL

      Delete
  5. I like the color assortment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Randy. I'm looking forward to see how many different colors I can spot in the Wichitas!

      Delete
  6. Nice collection of lichens! It kind of reminds me of those tests to see if you are color blind or not, only I don't see any big numbers... LOL

    Just for the fun of it I typed Lichen into the search bar for this blog and low and behold 5 of our posts come up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's time for us to get an eye check? I don't see any numbers either!LOL

      I did not realize we had used the word lichens in that many posts and pics? By the way, excellent job on your past lichen post! I've never used this feature but will in the future!

      Delete
    2. LOL! That's a good one. Ha ha ha ha ha.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!