Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My Head Is Not Red!

Red-bellied Woodpecker
Had just settled into my favorite campground chair when I heard the boisterous sound of this Woodpecker flying to one of his favorite perches. Not only a perch but a favorite food plot!

Super Crop!
I believe he might have come to say Hello and welcome me back to Doris Campground but I knew his only interest was in the old dead tree across the way in the other campsite! His favorite meal lives beneath the bark of this old Widow Maker!

What's In A Name?
Have always had a hard time not calling this guy red-headed but to amend my ways I now know this is a Red-Bellied Woodpecker. The Sibley Guide to Birds tells me!



10 comments:

  1. and he does have a bit of red 'blush' on his lower belly. guess redhead was taken. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tex. I should have added the 'Why' this woodpecker is named "red-bellied" to my post. A true fact indeed!

      Delete
  2. The word serendipity came to mind after seeing these really nice pictures you captured of this colorful woodpecker! Another example of why one should always have a good camera within reach at all times...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vice Versa my friend!

    I have my chair and a small table! I sit in the chair and my table holds my camera, reading material plus journal, and drink of choice. All within arms reach! One never knows of the next photo op or thought that might need to be remembered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wat mooi hij kondigt zichzelf aan en je weet al waar hij heen gaat dat is pas teamwork. mooie opname trouwens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translation using Google translate:

      How beautiful he announces itself and you already know where he's going now that's teamwork. nice shot anyway.

      Delete
    2. Thank You x 2!
      Thanks for the translation Paul; and thanks nic.b van es for your visit to Shutterbugs!

      Delete
  5. Sand fleas! Fascinating!


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° > <3
    > < } } ( ° >
    > < 3 3 3 ( ' >

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul's photo of the sand fleas had me itching to see more!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!