Monday, February 25, 2013

OATS

Wood Oats

Growing in the moist soil between the edge of the lake and the woods was a small patch of oats. They had found a sunny spot in which to produce their seeds. From the color of the headed out grass;  harvest time was near. The deer and birds will soon enjoy this found bounty. As they eat, what seeds fall to the ground will take root providing next years crop as well. Nature does provide efficiently!

Edible for humans and animals the oats are called by many names. Inland sea oats, river oats, wild oats, and Indian Oats they are called by some. I choose to call my find Wood Oats! The tiny morsel of seeds after the chaff has been removed is said to be tasty in soups and stews. As small as the seeds are I believe the birds and grazers will be better suited for the fare. Besides my oatmeal comes in little packets. Just add water, microwave on high for one minute forty-five seconds and it's ready to eat. No threshing required!

A Fall find along the shore of Quanah Parker Lake, Oklahoma! 

6 comments:

  1. sewing your wild oats, parker? ;) very pretty plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good thing to know I might need this for survivor skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good find, good photo to go with!

    I really should do a bit of homework on identifying wild edibles in my part of the world, never know when that knowledge might come in handy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very poetic. Lovely picture. Gosh we have it easy compared to most of nature.=)

      Delete
  4. I'd love to see a little green about now. I also like your idea of oats in the small packets instead of having to forage for my food! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog, we appreciate your comments!